Thursday 30 June 2022

Malla Sahitya || june || Kynpham Sing Nongkynrih

|| Malla Sahitya ||  Kynpham Sing Nongkynrih



Consolation


I want to send you words
that will massage your soul
and wipe away your sorrow.
But how do I console you
when your ailment is a virus
mutating into new forms every day?
You would not even tell me
what ails you exactly!
You sit by the window watching the sunrise;
you sit by the window watching the sunset.
Let me be the zephyr
from the Brahmaputra,
fanning your luminous face,
caressing your luminous hair.
Let me stroke your back with chiropractic fingers;
let me rub your chest to ease your breathing.
Because I cannot be with you,
I silently fold you in my arms
and kiss your head repeatedly.
Bury your face in my chest, Nameri;
I want you to feel the great love
beating there for you.
Pour your troubles into me,
let your soul be with mine,
do not speak if you can’t.
When you feel what I feel for you,
you will understand why
you will never be alone in this life.
Be brave, be strong.
What happens to you today
is what you are becoming tomorrow,
and pain may set you free.
I give you my soul in this life;
I leave you my love when I die.
I am your safety net;
fall on me, Nameri.


Festering Wound


When I spoke about you to the moon,
he hid his face behind a cloud.
I knew the night would not be joyous.
I thought you were displeased with me,
but your tears flowed
from an ancient well of sorrow.
The festering wound in your heart
needs the healing salve of sympathy,
but those around you, Nameri,
only want you to do
what you do not want to do.
It’s not your happiness
but what the world thinks of you
that matters most to them.
And nor will they stop
unless you become
what they think
women should become.
I want to hug you,
stroke your hair,
caress your back,
kiss your tears.
I want to whisper in your ears:
those who follow their hearts
are never let astray.
Though far away,
my love knows no distance;
my words are passionate
in their desire to serve you.
Collect your tears in a glass bottle, Nameri,
I will add mine to yours, and together,
our sorrow will spring into life
and sing of the sweet sadness of things,
the essence of our song.


No comments:

Post a Comment